General Information 

There is a 24 hour (1 day) waiting period from the time the license is issued until it can be used.  If a couple wishes to be married within that 24 hour waiting period, a waiver signed by a Judge must be presented to perform the ceremony.  Additionally, the license expires 30 days from the date and time of issuance.  Licenses are issued between 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for legal holidays.
FEES:   $35.00 in cash, check money order or debit/credit card.  This fee includes your application and a certified copy of the marriage license. 

A certified copy of the marriage license will be necessary if one of the parties wishes to change their name with Social Security and on their driver’s license.  After the ceremony has taken place, the license must then be filed with the Clerk of Court’s Office.  Once filed with the Clerk, the certified copy of the marriage license will be issued to the couple.  If an additional certified copy of the marriage license is required by the parties, it can be purchased at the Clerk of Court’s Office for $6.

Marriage License Requirements

Pursuant to applicable Louisiana Statutes, only one party is required to come in to purchase the marriage license.  The applying party must provide the below-listed documentation FOR BOTH PARTIES:

  • If from Louisiana, an original/certified birth certificate or birth card from the Louisiana State Vital Registry (a hospital souvenir certificate does not qualify).
  • If from another state, an original/certified birth certificate under the raised seal or stamp of the vital statistics registration authority of the place of birth.
  • If a naturalized citizen, a Certificate of Naturalization (a copy must be retained by the Clerk of Court).
  • If a foreign birth certificate, there must be provided a certified English translation.
  • In the event a birth certificate cannot be provided, a letter signed by the proper registration authority, under raised seal or stamp advising that no birth certificate is on file can be submitted in lieu of the birth certificate.
  • If the applicant cannot provide a letter of no record of birth, a Judge or Justice of the Peace may waive the requirement to provide a birth certificate by written order.
  • Social Security numbers must be provided or a statement by the applicable party that no Social Security number has been issued.  The statement of no Social Security number form is available in our office.
  • If applicable, must present proof of termination of prior marriage (judgment of divorce or death certificate).  If foreign divorce or death certificate, there must be provided a certified English translation.

Note: If born in Louisiana, our offices are able to provide birth certificates for the associated fees. 

Applicants under 18 years of age

  • Both parents must sign consent forms and bring proof of their identity in the form of a state-issued driver’s license or state-issued identification card.
  • If one parent has full custody, that parent must come in to sign a consent form, bring their proof of identity along with a certified copy of custody papers showing full custody.  Joint custody requires both parent’s consent.
  • Applicants under 16 and 17 years of age also require a judge’s consent in addition to parents consent.
  • Applicants under 16 and 17 years of age cannot marry someone three (3) years or more older.
  • Applicants under 16 years of age cannot get married in Louisiana. 


Covenant Marriage Requirements

Same as above with the following additional requirements:

  • If applying for a covenant marriage, applicants must also bring the original notarized Declaration of Intent and Affidavit with attestation from their counselor.


Call or come by and see us!

The Iberia Parish Clerk of Court Office is ready to serve you today. Our staff stands ready to assist all in need of these services in a competent and professional manner.
300 Iberia Street
Suite 100
New Iberia, LA 70560
Get Directions

Monday - Friday
8:30 AM - 4:30 PM

Get in Touch

Fill out my online form.

Fight Fraud and Waste Abuse

Contact the Louisiana Auditor Hotline if you suspect theft, fraud, waste or abuse of public funds by anyone.