Iberia Parish Clerk of Court
Serving Iberia Parish Proudly
Clerk of Court

300 Iberia Street

New Iberia LA. 70560

© 2019 by Iberia Parish Clerk of Court Office

Marriage License



The license must be obtained at least 24 hours (1 day) prior to the ceremony and expires 30 days from the date and time of issuance.  Licenses are issued between 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for legal holidays.


FEES:   $35.00 in cash, check money order or debit/credit card.


A certified copy of the marriage license will be necessary if one of the parties wishes to change their name with Social Security and on their driver’s license.  After the ceremony has taken place, the license must then be filed with the Clerk of Court’s Office.  Once filed with the Clerk, the certified copy of the marriage license will be mailed to the married parties.  If an additional certified copy of the marriage license is required by the parties, it can be purchased at the Clerk of Court’s Office for $6.





Pursuant to applicable Louisiana Statutes, only one party is required to come in to purchase the marriage license.  The applying party must provide the below-listed documentation FOR BOTH PARTIES:


  • If from Louisiana, a certified birth certificate or birth card from the Louisiana State Vital Registry (a hospital souvenir certificate does not qualify). If from another state, a certified birth certificate under the raised seal or stamp of the vital statistics registration authority of the place of birth, or if a naturalized citizen, a Certificate of Naturalization (a copy must be retained by the Clerk of Court). If a foreign birth certificate, there must be provided a certified English translation.

  • In the event a birth certificate cannot be provided, a letter signed by the proper registration authority, under raised seal or stamp advising that no birth certificate is on file can be submitted in lieu of the birth certificate.

  • If the applicant cannot provide a letter of no record of birth, a Judge or Justice of the Peace may waive the requirement to provide a birth certificate by written order.

  • Social Security numbers must be provided or a statement by the applicable party that no Social Security number has been issued.  The statement of no Social Security number form is available in our office.

  • If applicable, must present proof of termination of prior marriage (judgment of divorce or death certificate).  If foreign divorce or death certificate, there must be provided a certified English translation.


Note:   If born in Louisiana, birth certificates can be obtained at the St. Martin Parish Clerk of Court Office or at the Lafayette Parish Clerk of Court Office.



  • Both parents must sign consent forms and bring proof of their identity in the form of a state-issued driver’s license or state-issued identification card.

  • If one parent has full custody, that parent must come in to sign a consent form, bring their proof of identity along with a certified copy of custody papers showing full custody.  Joint custody requires both parent’s consent.

  • Applicants under 16 years of age also require a judge’s consent.



  • Same as above with following additional requirement: If applying for a covenant marriage, applicants must also bring the original notarized Declaration of Intent and Affidavit with attestation from their counselor.


Request Copy of Marriage License